The translator is one of the most ancient, most humane and noble professions urged to unite people. It gained the exclusive importance in the XXI century: at the household, political, social, cultural levels it is irreplaceable in a century of globalization. The Department of “Theory and practice of translation” carries out training of specialists on an educational program 5B020700 “Translation major” on full-time and extra-mural forms of education according to the license No. 13013970 from 28.08.2013.
The specialty “Translation major” was opened at the university in 1999.
The Department of “Theory and practice of translation” was formed in 2004 according to the Order for the university No. 49 from 03.09.04, No. 56 from 17.09.04.
Training in the specialty 050207 – “Translation major” is carried out on full-time and extra-mural forms of education according to GOSO RK 03.08.277 – 2006.
Mission of the Department of theory and practice of translation: providing quality educational services in an educational program of higher education in the specialty 5B020700 – “Translation major” and carrying out the fundamental and applied scientific and methodical works answering to inquiries of consumers, requirements of educational standards and norms of certification systems.
The following teachers who passed professional development:
1) Senior teachers of the Department Bassimova G.S. and Ibrayeva A.A. during the period from November 18 to November 23, 2013, improved skills at the Institute of professional development in volume of 72 hours within the course “Problems of Cross-cultural Communication in Work of the Translator”, KazUIRIL named for Abylai Khan.
2) Senior teacher of the Department Beyssembayeva A.K. and teachers Baysalbayeva Zh.S. and Akzhigitova E.N., on December 14, 2013, attended a seminar of professor from the USA Chong Li on “New forms of evaluating the quality of students’ knowledge”. Cand.Phil.Sci., the acting associate professor – Kussainova G.S. acted as the interpreter of professor Chong Li.
3) Teacher Baysalbayeva Zh.S. during the period from January 3 to January 12, 2014, completed the international advanced training courses in the form of foreign scientific practical training in volume of 72 hours in Non-state educational institution of higher education “Omsk humanitarian academy” of the Russian Federation on: “The theory and practice of research of pedagogical and psychological bases of management in education.”
4) Teachers of the Department Kalimova Zh.U., Kussainova G.S., Bassimova G.S., Ibrayeva A.A., Akhmerova N.M., Beysembayeva A.M., Baysalbayeva Zh.S., Akzhigitova E.N., Nurkassymova A.K., Essimbekova K.T., on January 15, 2014, attended a master class on “Investigating the use of on-linere sources in your classroom” which was carried out by the master from the University of Kansas – Lynette Joy Hosek.
5) Teachers of the Department Kalimova Zh.U., Kussainova G.S., Bassimova G.S., Ibrayeva A.A., Akhmerova N.M., Beysembayeva A.M., Baysalbayeva Zh.S., Akzhigitova E.N., Nurkassymova A.K., Essimbekova K.T., on March 12, 2014, attended a seminar on “Building students’ critical thinking skills. Developing students’ essential skills for academic success” (volume – 3 hours) which was carried out by employees of the International Linguistic School “Macmillan,” city of Almaty, Moldazharova S. and Karpushenko O.
6) Teacher Akzhigitova E.N., on December 26, 2013, participated in a methodical seminar on: “The new technologies used in educational process at the Humanitarian Law Department” organized by Educational and Methodical Bureau of Humanitarian Law Department.
7) Cand.Phil.Sci., acting associate professor Kussainova G.S. and senior teachers of the Department Bassimova G.S., Ibrayeva A.A. completed the online courses organized by university Oregon (USA) on “Principles of Written English” lasting 5 weeks. All teachers received the highest results from 95% to 98% and received certificates.
8) Teachers Kalimova Zh.U., Kussainova G.S., Bassimova G.S., Ibrayeva A.A., Akhmerova N.M., Beysembayeva A.M., Baysalbayeva Zh.S., Akzhigitova E.N., Nurkassymova A.K., Essimbekova K.T. completed the international online courses “Coursera” on “The landscape of English language teaching.”
9) Teacher Essimbekova K.T. during the period from March 11 to April 30, 2014, completed the training course “The Modern Educational Technologies and Their Use in Educational Process of Higher Education Institution” in the Center of Innovative Educational Technologies of Shakarim State University of Semey.
Senior teachers of the Department Orazbayeva G.D. and Tulekova M. K. became scholars of the Bolashak program. Duration of training was 8 months, from October 21, 2013 to June 27, 2014, teachers passed practical training in the USA at the University of Nebraska, city of Omaha. Training subject: “English for professionals (Business English and communication).”
Senior teachers of the Department of “Theory and practice of translation” Akhmerova N., Bassimova G., Ibrayeva A. passed scientific practical training in the specialty “104 T Pedagogics and psychology” in DAAS/ICLON University of Leiden according to the Bolashak program from 1.09.2014 to 1.12.2014.
In 2013-2014 academic year educational and methodical work of the Department was directed on the solution of the following tasks: further improvement of educational process, use of innovative forms and methods of teaching, improvement of structure and content of special disciplines of the Department, improvement of quality of training of specialists-translators.
The scientific and methodical seminars were devoted to the issues of teaching methodology, theory and practice of translation and language. Also educational and methodical seminars for teachers were held by Lynette Hosek, the master of education, the scholar of the program “Fullbright,” University of Kansas, USA. The result of improvement of pedagogical experience of teachers is the use of modern pedagogical information technologies by them. Teachers use innovative pedagogical technologies, such as a project methodology, information technologies, training in cooperation, method of critical thinking, Internet technology, personal focused training, Portfolio method, case-method, etc. in their educational process. Existence on the Department of 2 computer classes, an interactive board, tape recorders with disks and authentic textbooks allows teachers qualitatively and interestingly to give classes.
Scientific work of the Department during the reporting period was carried out within realization of the general-departmental scientific and pedagogical subject “Actual Problems of the Translation and Shakarims Aspect.”
Research scientific work of the Department was carried out in 2 directions:
From the organizational point of view activity of the Department was carried out in two directions: actually research (theoretical) and educational – methodical (applied).
The theoretical direction included such kinds of activity as: carrying out scientific researches on actual problems of linguo-translation studies and methodology of training in foreign languages at the level of course works, degree projects; participation in work of scientific-theoretical and scientific-practical conferences; publication of scientific articles, reports and theses of performances; reviewing of degree projects; preparation and carrying out students scientific and practical conferences; exchange of experience at the level of scientific and methodical seminars of the Department; discussion of theoretical bases of the organization of educational process taking into account a modern level of development of linguistics, theory of translation and methodology of training in foreign languages at the level of meetings of methodical associations of the Department; training of teachers of the Department at the advanced training courses organized by the leading research centers of the republic.
To increase level of teaching of basic disciplines of the specialty “Translation major” and to develop professional skills of teachers, a teacher of the University of Kansas (USA), master – Lynette Joy Hosek was invited to the Department for 8 months.
Orazbayeva G.D. and Tulekova M. K. became scholars of the Bolashak program. Duration of practical training was 8 months, from October 21, 2013 to June 27, 2014 teachers passed training in the USA at the University of Nebraska, city of Omaha. Training subject: “English for professionals (Business English and communication)”.
The foreign teacher Johannes Stikel with teachers of the Department holds a seminar (October, 2014)
Akhmerova N., Bassimova G., Ibrayeva A. were on the scientific practical training at the University of Leiden (Holland) according to the Bolashak program from 1.09.2014 to 1.12.2014.
We submitted the application to the U.S. Embassy in Kazakhstan for participation in the English Language Fellow Program sponsored by Bureau of the USA for education and culture. The purpose of participation in the program was the invitation to the Department of the foreign expert for rendering the methodical help to teachers of the Department and carrying out classes to students of various specialties. From October, 2013 to June, 2014 the specialist in English, the master of education Lynette Hosek from the University of Kansas, the USA, worked at the Department. During academic year Lynette Hosek together with teachers of the Department developed and gave classes to students of translation and other specialties, carried out additional language training of employees, students and undergraduates of the University. On January 14, 2014 together with Lynette Hosek the Department held a methodical seminar for teachers of lyceum No. 5, and also on January 15, 2014 a methodical seminar for teachers of the University “Investigating the use of on-liner sources in your classroom.”
Acting associate professor Kussainova G.S. provided consecutive interpretation of lecture of professor Li from the State University of Pittsburgh when holding a methodical seminar of “New forms of evaluating the quality of students knowledge” for the teaching staff of the University (on December 14, 2013); and also she provided consecutive interpretation when opening the International Center For the Foreign Experts working in the city of Semey (on November 14, 2013).
Within further improvement of professional skills, teachers of the Department increase language competence and methodology of teaching a foreign language, taking part in 5 week educational online courses Coursera and EdX which are carried out by the University of Oregon and University of Berkeley, USA, with assistance of the U.S. Embassy after which termination by results of their progress they receive the corresponding certificates.
Acting associate professor Kussainova G.S. is a member of Global Translator Community, gives translation help for the global Coursera project for the organization and carrying out educational courses.
Teachers of the Department Orazbayeva G.D. and Tulekov M.K. are owners of the international grant of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan – “Bolashak” and from October, 2013 to June, 2014 they improve their professional skills at the University of Nebraska, USA. Since September, 2014 three teachers of the Department (Ibrayeva A.A., Bassimova G.S., Akhmerova N.M.) became owners of the grant “Bolashak” and plan 3-month practical training in Holland on the methodology of teaching foreign languages.
Lynette Hosek gives seminar for teachers of the Department (December, 2014)
Lynette Hosek gives classes (ПД 406)
Students of 4 course with Lynette Hosek in the Museum of Nevzorovs (December, 2014)
Lynette Hosek with students (1 and 3 courses)
The Department regularly holds activities for students and teachers of the Department:
“Devotion of first-year student to students” (03.10.2014)
Halloween holiday (31.10.2014)
Results of the students XV scientific conference on social, natural, technical and human sciences:
Kadyrsizova Gulim ПД-305, Kiribayeva Aygerim ПД-206
Toleubekova Rysgul ПД-106, Zhanybekova Arnay ПД-206
Tabuldin Mereynur ПД-305, Ignatov Yevgeny ПД-106
The graduate of the specialty “Translation major” was trained on the academic mobility at the Universityof San Diego (USA). At present he is a specialist of international department of Shakarim State University of Semey.
The graduate of the specialty “Translation major”, Shyngayev Yerzhan is owner of the grant “Bolashak” and at present he is trained in the USA.
Also Kurmanova Nazym, Mukanova Nurgul continued training in a magistracy on the specialty “Translation major” (Gumilev ENU), Sovetova Moldir – on the specialty “Philology” (KazSJIU).
According to the academic program 4 students of the specialty were trained at the University of Pamukkale (Turkey): Olzhabay Azhar (4 course ПД-105), Nagashbekova Nazira (3 course ПД-207S), Ospanova Anar (3 course, ПД-206), Kussmanova Asem (3 course, ПД-206).
Students at the classes